background

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I'm a Sookie Stackhouse nerd!

OK, OK, so I'm a huge dork but also a huge fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books and the True Blood series.  However, since I read the books about a year ago and the episodes of True Blood are a week apart (the seasons a year apart) I have been having a really hard time keeping things straight in my head
     -- Hold on, before I get too in depth here, let me throw out this DISCLAIMER: There may be spoilers for the episodes, books or both. Even comments may contain spoilers. - I highly recommend you do not read this if you do not want to know.
As I was saying, I realize that the show is much different then the books but my mind just goes there.  I have even read some interviews here and there that Charlaine Harris has said the books are more like an outline for the TV series rather then the script. Also, that they are trying each season of the shows sort of corresponds with  each book - I'm paraphrasing there. I thought that was a pretty good way to put it but I can't help but feeling its good to have read the books first.
So, a couple episodes into this season of True Blood, I decided to reread the books.  And try to straighten out my head a bit. As I finished the first book, I realized I was going to be "forced" to re-watch the first season of True Blood again.  This was starting to sound like an endless circle that was going to consume my entire "life after the kids are asleep at night." Plus with the new Twilight coming out this November, I couldn't be wrapped up in 2 vampire concepts, talk about confusing.  I decided the best idea was going to be to keep outline of sorts that touch on the highlights of each book so that I can go back and add to/decipher it when I get around to re-watching.
So here it is, feel free to add or bring up anything you think should be included. But please do not be offended, this is all strictly my opinion and not an official stance on anything.

Book 1 


Overall this is about the introduction of Sookie and her gift to the reader, Bill, and Eric. 
We also meet other important characters -
Gran - Sookies Grandmother who practically raised Jason and Sookie after her parents were killed in a flood. Gran is an old fashioned Southern Woman but doesn't seem to mind vampires. She seems to encourage Sookie and Bills relationship because she wants Sookie to be happy.  She is murdered by Rene and leaves the house to Sookie.  Sookie thinks of her from time to time through the entire series.  In the most recent book Charliane released, they reveal tons of secrets Gran had been keeping, but Im not telling yet!
Jason -Sookie's handsome older brother who at this point doesnt seem all that relevant. He is suspected for murder (of a couple local fang bangers and his grandmother) in the book but Sookie helps prove his innocence when she is attacked by the true killer, fights back and both the killer (Rene - his name is relevant only because they refer to it later in the books and show) and Sookie are hospitalized.  Rene comes clean in the hospital.
Sam - The first shifter we are introduced to.  Sookie's boss, best friend, and I have to mention in the first book there is several mentions of missed opportunities of Sam as her lover. Though, at this point thats all it is, missed opportunities. Sam likes to take the shape of a Collie because its a larger dog but non threatening.
Sookie can read Sams mind but its harder for her then other people, also it appears he can keep her out if he wants. The scene that Sam reveals he's a shifter is kind of funny. Sam as Dean, the Collie, stays with Sookie one night. She thinks hes a stray and she's just lost her pet cat, the next morning when she wakes Dean is not longer there but a naked Sam is asleep on her bed.  The explaining starts. It should be noted that both Sam and Sookie seem to have a strong need to protect one another.
Arlene - She is more important in earlier things but her and Sookie's friendship fizzles later.She has her own story line currently in True Blood, which I find myself not caring much for. Anyway, she is anti-vampire and Sookie thinks of her as a friend.  She mentions "best friend" but only because friendships are llimited for Sookie and Arelene seems to accept it as long as Sookie stays out of her head. Also, Alrene and Rene are married.
Liam, Diane, and Malcome - There is a Vampire nest nearby that plays a big role in this book but, I do not feel like in the grand scheme of the novels or the show, these characters make much difference. Other then to say they show a little vulnerability of the vampires because they're home is burned during the day and the vampires go up with it. Also, they just further touch on Bills devotion to Sookie and mainstreaming.  Since they were a pretty big plot line for this book, I felt like they at least need to be mentioned by me.
Bubba - Bubba is Elvis if you hadn't figured it out. He becomes a loveable character for me but not yet in this book. He prefers to feed on cats but, is not the killer of Sookie's cat - Rene does it and he just strangles the cat. I remember it being much more gruesome on TV but, it makes for better TV. Bubba makes his debut as protector of Sookie and her home while Bill is out of town- a favor to Bill.
That brings us back to Bill...


Vampire Bill - Sookie's first encounter with the supernatural. Sookie falls in love with Bill over the course of the first book. As soon as she meets Bill her life begins to change.  I find it interesting to re-read this book because Sookie is so innocent and naive in the first book, something you tend to forget over the course of the stories.  There is so much she begins to learn about the Vampire world and politics.  She encounters death -other people and her own - several times and ultimately the book ends with her in the hospital. More importantly, she and Bill share blood several times and she begins to learn the power of Vampire blood. I also believe this is the beginning of the blood bond however, its not mentioned. Bill does refer to Sookie as "mine" but only explains that its a vampire custom and its to keep her safe. At the end Bill takes a mysterious trip and comes back saying he has won an election and this will help keep their relationship safer from Eric.
Eric - Beautiful, powerful Eric.  I know what you're thinking but, I haven't been able to decide yet if I am Team Eric or Team Bill.  Anyway, Eric and Sookie meet for the first time at Fangtasia where she warns them about a raid tipping him off to her powers. He later calls her back to listen to employees mind and try to find a thief who stole money from them. She makes a "deal with the devil" - ok, its just a deal with Eric - that if he does not kill the offender she will cooperate with him any time he needs this sort of help. This is really interesting because she took Bills blood the previous night to make her strong in case things went bad with Eric, somehow she reads Eric's mind while discussing their arrangement.  She says it was hard and she got out quick so he didn't know she was there.  It wasn't much but definitely an interesting tidbit to keep in mind.  Also Sookie gets attacked by the thief and takes more of Bills blood to heal. Sookie mentions physical changes when she takes vampire blood. (One of them is that her teeth are whiter and sharper. I thought this was interesting because in the most recent episode from 8/7, when the guard was killed I thought her teeth looked sharp and even that we heard her fangs pop out. But I couldn't make sense of why he was going to try to feed on her if she were a vampire or how Marney didn't pick up on it in the circle. I guess I can attribute the teeth back to this observation of Sookie.) It has to be said that at Sookie and Eric's first introduction, Eric has already made his mind up that he wants Sookie.

So now its on to book 2.  I will have more to report for you guys in a couple days and may try to watch a couple episodes of Season one the weeked. I am a little afraid though, I will get confused so ay have to wait until the end of the current season. If Season 1 of True Blood is fresh on your brain, by all means give us some feedback.





No comments:

Post a Comment