background

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A yummy lunch

I know, I know, I really need to work on doing better at my blog promises. New Years resolution perhaps?  But today I bring to you a recipe! Well sort of.
If you are anything like me you love pasta salads, chicken salads, and things of that nature (is there a collective name for these things?) I also love avocados. So when I came across this recipe on pinterest I had to follow the link over to Cheeky Kitchen and check things out. I decided that I did need to try this

Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
The flavors of this chicken salad are reminiscent of summer grilling. If you've got a bit of leftover chicken from the night before, this is a great way to use it up for lunch. Otherwise, feel free to boil a breast of chicken or zap one in the microwave for a super-speedy meal. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 cup chicken breast, cooked and shredded
¼ cup corn
¼ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup green onions, chopped
¼ cup tomatoes, diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup corn chips, crushed
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
Salt to taste
2-4 avocados, sliced in half with pits discarded

Directions:

In a medium bowl, toss the chicken breast, corn, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and corn chips together. Add the vinegar and mayonnaise to mixture and toss to coat. Salt to taste. Spoon salad into halved avocados. Serve immediately with a spoon and fork. Enjoy!

Yep, I was going to check this out!

Her pictures look amazing but, I made a few changes of my own allowing this to become a really quick and easy lunch. Here's what I did...
Ingredients:
2 cans of shredded chicken (I like Tyson the best, or you could shred a rotisserie chicken)
Mayo (I used just enough to make the chicken moist)
Black beans, rinsed and drained (I used a handful)
Corn, rinsed and drained (I used a handful of this too)
Chopped cilantro (about a tablespoon)
Chopped green onions (I used a small handful)
Shredded cheese (a handful)

Avocado
Directions:
Mix mayo and chicken together to coat chicken lightly.
Mix in all other ingredients except Avocado.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
At this point I just have an easy lunch for a few days.
When I go to make my lunch I just cut open and pit the avocado then peel it (if thats what you call it with an avocado.) Then with a fork I smash it up like I'm making guacamole get a couple of spoonfuls of the chicken mixture and mix it all together. I heat it for about 45 seconds then eat it. Its great on crackers and probably would even be good on bread but since I'm still watching carbs, I eat it like it is. Also if you wanted to add tomatoes you could just use grape tomatoes. I tried it with them and didn't really like the flavor combo (as my husband says) I just don't know that I would add the tomatoes if I knew I was going to refrigerate it for a couple days.

Ok fellow avocado and pasta salad-y lovers, go try both or come up with your own! And check out Cheeky Kitchen, she has lots of other great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment