background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Menu Monday 1/9

Well its week 2 of the 17 Day Diet at our house. Last week we did pretty well but this weekend was bad.  With the Texans in the Playoffs there was a little shindig and a lot of food here at our house.
I decided I wasn't going to update you all every day on the weight loss - that would be a bit annoying - so I'm just going to check in on recipe days.  I started last week at 133.4 lbs and by Friday I was at 128.8.  Unfortunately, I do like to munch all day like we did Saturday and started this week at 130.4 for a total loss of 3lbs.
As for last week I stuck pretty much to the menu. But, with our bad habits the way they are we never made it to the Ham dinner Sunday and the Broccoli Chicken.  I will say that from the menu last week we had a few hits that are going down into the favorites - Pepperidge Farm Chicken, Roasted Parm Green Beans, Parm Honey Pork (do not cook as long as they say, just keep checking the meat temp. I would also Cut just a little of the cheese out) and the broccoli sausage brunch (sub I. Sausage for breakfast sausage and broccoli for onions. Also, make sure you use cupcake liners - I gave up cleaning it and just threw my pan into recycling. Haha) So if you missed the menu last week, those are things you should try from it. 
This week I started with the Chicken and Broccoli from last week. I already had the stuff so it made sense. Chicken and Broccoli
Recently one of my favorite Chinese dishes has been Chicken and broccoli. I know I have not been posting a lot of Asian recipes lately but don’t worry, I still have more. Chinese chicken with broccoli is your basic stir fry. Chicken bits and broccoli florets stir fried with a delicious sauce. The sauce is a basic combination of Asian flavors such as hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, chicken broth and garlic. Red pepper flakes are added for a little heat and can be adjusted to your taste. If you choose the broccoli can be cooked ahead to save a little time. I like to toss my chicken bits with cornstarch to make them a little crispy but it’s totally optional. Normally this dish is not breaded. You could also deep fry the chicken bits and cook the sauce separately. Serve with white rice. Enjoy.
Ingredients:
1 1/2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small chunks)
1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
6 tablespoons chicken broth (divided)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
salt and pepper
5 green onions (sliced)
¼ cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
Sesame seeds (for garnish, optional)
Cooking Instructions:
Step 1: Heat a wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat. Add 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil. Add garlic and dried red pepper flakes. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add broccoli florets and 4 tablespoons chicken broth. Stir fry broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2:
Add a little more sesame oil to the wok (about 1 tablespoon). Season chicken bits with salt and pepper. Add to the wok and cooked until chicken is fully cooked (about 3-5 minutes).
Step 3:
Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of chicken broth, oyster sauce, and hoisin sauce. Add broccoli mix well and cook until the mixture has become well heated. Serve with white rice.
(Makes 2 Servings)
Like all my recipes lately I found this one on Pinterest and followed it over to Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour.  Check it out - cute right!
Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded -I will use a rotisserie chicken from HEB. I'm pretty lazy and pressed for time on grocery shopping nights

2 cans of cream of chicken soup -I will use whatever the lowest fat version I can find is

1 cup of mayo - fat free

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup colby & monterrey jack cheese

1 bag frozen broccoli,thawed and chopped

salt & pepper to taste
Steps:
Cook chicken & shred.  Meanwhile, chop the broccoli.
Now, mix all ingredients together.
Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2 qt. casserole dish & heat oven to 375. 
Cook for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Serve with rice. - I won't be serving it over rice. 

The Chicken recipe was sited at All Things Simple she served it with a pretty yummy looking - and so not on the diet Sweet Potato Recipe...
Ingredients for Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. bar-b-que sauce ( I use Bull's Eye)
1/4 c. real bacon bits
1 c. colby and jack cheese, shredded
1 14 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, drained (canned with green chilies added)
sliced green onions
pepper
Steps:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pound out chicken breasts to flatten. Season with pepper. Grill chicken until no long pink (we used our George Foreman grill) and place on baking sheet covered with foil. Top each chicken breast with one tablespoon bar-b-que sauce, 1/4 c. cheese, 1/4 c. tomatoes, green onions and one tablespoon of bacon bits. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
A note from the Blog:
***This is the first time we marinated the chicken breasts before cooking and they were great. You don't have to though. Marinade: 1/4 c. olive oil, 2 T. soy sauce, 2 tsp. McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. (We only marinade about a half hour or the meat gets too salty for us.)

Salad which I seriously doubt the hubby will eat any of. He is a meat and potatoes guy. I feel like though, that this is a good one to make a side hes not that into, it seems hearty enough.
 Ingredients:
1 avocado, cut in chunks, about 3 ounces
2 hard boiled eggs, cut in chunks
1 small tomato, cut in chunks, about 2 3/4 ounces or one small Roma tomato
2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste 
Steps:
Gently combine everything but try not to break up the chunks of avocado and egg too much. Eat at once.
Makes 1 serving

Thursday - the elusive No Carb Pizza
I have toyed with the idea of trying this for weeks now. It is usually right up top every time I search no carb recipe on pinterest. I figured it would the break from chicken. So today I decided to head over to What's That Smell and see what it was all about.
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 (8 oz.) package of full fat cream cheese (room temp.)
2 eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Pizza:
 1/2 cup jarred marinara sauce*
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Sauteed pepperoni
Garlic powder
 Steps:

For the crust: For the pizza:
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Butter a 9×13 baking dish
  • Blend cream cheese and eggs and season with pepper & garlic powder
  • Add parmesan cheese and stir until combined
  • Pour into buttered baking dish
  • Bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown
  • Let crust cool for 10 minutes before adding toppings
  • After crust is cooked, raise oven to 400 degrees
  • Mix together marinara sauce, garlic powder, cayenne pepper & oregano
  • Top crust with marinara and spread evenly
  • Top with mozzarella cheese
  • Add toppings
  • Bake for 8 minutes or until cheese is bubbly



A note from What's That Smell: *Finding a sauce that doesn’t contain added sugar is not easy, but I did find a “no sugar added” by Ragu that with a few added seasonings tastes fantastic on the pizza. You could always make your own too but I’m not THAT brave yet.

Ok so that wraps up this week for me. I will be back with a post about the weekend. I know I left out Friday but I will be shopping again on Friday to come  up with that menu. If I have a chance I'll share it too!
Get Cooking and I hope you enjoy.
-Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment