background

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Mudder Frickin' Good Time

This past Saturday I ran my first ever 5k. Actually, it was a 5k and obstacle course, in the mud.
Might Mud Dash
As you may remember one of my resolutions this year was to lead a healthier lifestyle. Well, Chris got wind of the Might Mud Dash early January and it was all over. He came home talking about it the team a bunch of people from work had put together. My first reaction, was "you should do it, it sounds fun" - to watch you make an ass of yourself, I wouldn't miss it. A couple of days went by and Chris broke the news, he wanted me to do it with him. It took me a few days to mull it over and finally get on board. However, I was looking for someone else to do it with because I didn't want to join a team of dudes from his work and get left in the dust to eat shit mud all on my own. Chris assured me he would stay with me so we began training.
Some of you may remember February was a rough month for me. I had some major health issues pop up and training, for me, was on hold. I was on bed rest a week and then on light duty until I was cleared by my doctor on March 23rd. Chris kept training, I was pretty sure he would literally have to drag me through the course at this point - that was if I was cleared by the doctor.  Sure enough she gave the go ahead and I started a 2 a day jogging program to try to cram for the big day. Ok so really it wasn't so much of a program as it was me just trying to run as long and far as I could twice a day for a week and a half with a 2 or 3 day rest before the race. I have no experience in any kind of working out so I really didn't know what to do.
Fast forward to race day!

Pre-race photo op!


I think this is my game face. I know, I look a little more intimidated then intimidating.
So my plan all along was to get to the back of our wave so I wasn't in anybody's way and I didn't have to watch everyone else pass me. Of course we begin to line up and the team decides they want right at the front. 

Some pre-race strategy talk no doubt.
Its time to go so, from the front, we start. Chris said for me to just push as hard as I want and he'll keep up. The goal, finish under and hour, hour and a half TOPS and finish first on our team. So I just started jogging. We were in a whole mess of people so I was just weaving through trying to get to where I could run a pace I was comfortable with and not be tripping over anyone or have anyone trip over me. I guess somewhere around a mile in we hit the first obstacle. I still was sure where Chris was, we were separated in the crowd but I knew he hadn't passed me and I didn't want to turn back and look. I just kept having a conversation with myself "push! push! he'll catch up." I finally saw a goal point to slow down and take a breather and just as I approached, Chris was at my side. One obstacle down, 13 to go, and now a team.
We paced ourselves with a fast walk and a light jog until the next obstacle which wasn't very far. After that we just alternated a walk job approach. I was pretty winded so I couldn't run long distances anymore. just after the halfway marker was the first get muddy obstacle. You just run and jump shoulder deep into a trench full of muddy water then make out to the other side. It was actually a nice time for it, the water was cool and woke you up a bit. But once we were out, I was a bit bogged down. Cotton clothes probably weren't the best choice (which means shopping for next time!!) We made it through the next few obstacles keeping a pretty good pace but I had a moment of weakness when I hit this bad boy...

Ok, I know it looks like something from a playground and I should easily be able to get over. But I am pretty scared of heights and it was a good 20 to 25 feet to the top. Chris said he felt like we spent about 5 min on this one alone. Not all of that was me, the girl ahead of me was freaking out pretty bad and kind of stuck for a min at the top. Although, there is no way I had the guts to get off my straight up and over path and go around her. Once I got about halfway to the top I started getting nervous, at one point I looked back to Chris and he said I had crazy eyes. I did actually make it over though, and when my feet were on solid ground I felt awesome. Accomplished and my adrenaline was there for a second (and final wind.)
We jogged to the hay bales and Chris when right up them and looked like a gazelle flying over them. I followed behind him and managed to keep up. Almost immediately after there was a wall. I was pretty tired at this point and not sure I had the strength to get up and over. Turns out I did. Here are a couple of shots from a couple different people. 
That's me in the pink and Chris to my right in black.




Right after the wall there was a rope swing then we rounded the corner and were at the upside of the 50ft mudslide hill. I gave it one last push and Chris and I sprinted up the hill. About two steps from the top I nearly fell to my knees to crawl the rest of the way but some nice girl to my right just put her hand on the back of my arm to support me for a moment and I made it. I was actually excited about this one, it looked like the most fun. So we slide off into the sunset mud pit, only they hadn't cleared the ground that well and I hit my tail bone on a rock. I turned to my right hip because of the pain and took another softball size rock to the hip before splashing into the mud pit. Chris was at the end by the time I made it there, waiting to help me out and we crossed the finish line together.  They slid medals over our necks and as corny as it may sound, it was awesome! I was kind of in the zone for the whole run but when we finished I felt great.
We looped back around to cheer on a couple of the finishing team members then went to the car to get cleaned up. We came back in to grab a beer and check our times out. When I saw 44:28 was our time, I was shocked. I was so proud of us. We accomplished the course and our goals and all with just two weeks of practice. By Saturday night, I had already found our next mission... The Original Mud Run 
It comes to Houston May 26th. Tonight we start our couch to 5k program and our new goal is to finish in under 40 min. We have to get ready for the Zombie Run in December, I'm pumped about that one and want to make sure I can fare well in the Zombie apocalypse. So who's game? You don't have run with me, I'll take training partners too. I promise, its so worth it. 

**hopefully I'll get a few more pictures, Ill post as soon as I do!

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Terra! It sure was fun! The Zombie 5K looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete