background

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Light Show

Ok there is not really a light show, but I'm showing you our lights, isn't that good enough?
I have to say, our luck with Christmas lights is minimal. As in, we are lucky they ever work.  A couple years ago we bought some solar lights for the old house. See, there was only one plug on the outside of that house and it was actually in the garage. So we had to string an extension cord across the 2 car garage  then up the side of the house. Any of the small tree lights we used were run through windows that were closed on cords and then towels stuffed around them to keep out a draft.  Solar lights seemed like a great solution and they were, for a year.  The following year we pulled them out and at $30 or so dollars a strand, they didn't work.  So we threw them away and just did a couple of strands inside until we could find another solution. Then one night when we went out to take out the trash, of the solar strands was lit up in the trash can.
Anyway, this year we decided being in a new house and all, we would just go out and buy all new. Make the conversion to LED and hopefully it would last a while before we had to replace anything. Of course we went to 3 stores and none of them had the large C9 style LED lights in warm white (the cool white is not my favorite but no offense intended.) We finally decided on a slightly smaller bulb, my OCD just prevents me from really loving them because they are nearly impossible to get tight, straight, and all the same direction. 
In the end I'm happy with the results but secretly holding out for big bulbs next year! 




Pretty cute huh? I went all out with deco mesh this year, I just like the sparkly-ness of it (and the price) plus it holds up in the weather. So where to start...

My fancy mailbox swag.  That bow is giant but I love it and although I've said I'm done, I may be adding more greenery to it. (Please note the lollipop, Eli had to have them.)

These bad boys are my tomato cage topiaries. They are about 4ft tall and only cost $17 to make the pair. During the process I was cursing the whole ordeal but as soon as they went up I was smitten and forgot about the hassle. After Christmas I can just pull them out, put them straight in the attic and replant my planters with something seasonal. 

Just above the topiaries I have these pretties...brand new porch lights that are actually large enough to be seen on the front of the house.

Since we took out all those giant bushes I knew our chimney needed something large to tie it in a bit, enter giant wreath and mesh bow.  Freebie tip: I added pinecones for a little flair and to make it match the other window wreaths. 

That leaves the front door. I originally bought the deco mesh for the wreath but once it was made I had more than enough left over so I added it to, well, everything. 

"Santa I was good..."

Tomorrow you'll have to come in and see the rest but first I have to scoot everything out of the way  clean up for pictures. See ya then! 










No comments:

Post a Comment