background

Friday, February 14, 2014

Your opinion counts!

Help me make my house pretty!
OK first let me back up a little. We've decided its time to put new windows in our house. since it makes the most sense to do the siding at the same time, we'll be taking one that project too.  The stucco actually needs replacing and not just because its (in my opinion) that horrible, very textured, cupcake frosting looking stuff...there is actual damage (aging.)

As for the windows, they are 40 years old and need to be updated but lets face it, the discomfort of summer here in Texas plays a big factor in that too.
Although, I am really excited to bring our house out of the 70's look and modernize it a bit, all these decisions have started to overwhelm a little and I'm becoming a little indecisive. I think I can only picture so much change at I time.  That, my friends, is where you com in. I need you guys to weigh in on this.
So here is the house as it is now

All the cupcake stucco will be replaced with regular siding running horizontally. The windows will look a little different because we plan on combining a few... 

That part is about all I have decided on.  Next I'm considering adding something to the gables.  We originally talked about doing either the two side gables in one material and the larger in a different material (ideally I like a wood shingles look but its just not in the budget) 

And lets be real, my house doesn't look like that. So I considered maybe doing a siding and a flat stucco. In the end we felt like just doing all three gables with a horizontal siding would be the best route. Then a rep with the siding company gave me this idea... 

Just a little wood detail at the top of the gables. And this house is actually siding so you can really get a feel for how it would look. 


What do you think? Maybe even just on the big gable? My mom didn't like the idea but I thought it was cute. Im worried the house will look really plain  having just siding across the top, we'll be losing that batten board detail. 
So that's the first thing I need your opinion on.

NEXT is the color.  They will be repainting everything but I am at a total loss in this department.  I am not a huge fan of the brick color

(what is that, pink?)
(or the roof) but nobody asked me when they built it 40 years ago and we obviously aren't about to take off a perfectly good roof just to change colors. 

So I decided I would go with a creamy white color for sure but on the trim or on the siding? I really love this combo and thought about doing cream on the siding and the trim in the teal 

1. I don't know if I am brave enough to pick something other than tan.
2. Does it go ok with our hideous brick? -painting the brick is not an option at the moment 

SO then I thought, maybe I could paint my door the teal and just use a nice cream and tan color combo on the house. Which brings me to one more decision what goes on the trim and what goes on the siding? BTW to throw one more thing into "picture this in your mind" the new windows will have white frames. 

As you can see I am in decision making limbo and I have to get it all approved by our lovely HOA before we can move forward so in other words...help please! I'll take opinions, color suggestions (if you have an actual name, even better) anything!

Oh and happy Valentines Day! My husband got me windows and siding - I'm not sure if its my personality, or if its because we've been married long enough now, that  makes me super excited about this!.






No comments:

Post a Comment