background

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Grocery Shopping

I know for many of you grocery shopping and menu planning are the bane of your existence. While I never really mind the shopping, I always hate the planning. Honestly it took a ridiculously long time each trip.
We used to shop on Sunday's once a week and I would spend and hour or so scouring the internet for recipes and making a coordinating shopping list. Recently, it all changed.
We decided to get on a family budget and try to just be better organized. I made up a menu spreadsheet for the whole month.I just printed it and stuck it to the fridge. I also printed all the recipes I would need for the month and had those in order (coordinated with the menu) and kept them on top of the microwave. Last month was our first month to try and it was amazing.
Now each Sunday I can quickly and easily look at the menu, check what we already have, and simply add our menu items to the list (we usually keep a constant list going, milk, eggs, laundry soap...) There was never any confusion over dinner, our grocery bill was smaller, it saved a lot of time, and we even wasted less food.
This week we came to the last week I had planned and I was sure I was going to do it again. I could have just started the menu over but I enjoy mixing it up a little. I do actually like to cook and try different things
Obviously, when you look at my menu there are a few family friendly staples that get repeated. Those are just easy go to things for my family that everybody likes, so why not?
last few helpful hints...
-This is just what I use personally please don't take it for any more than that. Its what works for my family and may not work for yours
-To read the menu: The date (starting Mondays) and meal are down the left and you just move across (to the right)  it that week
-Some recipes I have not tried and they may not be that great
- Anything with ** in front of it has a coordinating recipe
- LO is "leftover"
-"Frozen" in the veggie section is just there so I can decide that week by seeing whats available at the store or if I need to sub frozen. I often change out my sides too just depending on what we have
- Drumsticks are on the menu several times, we bake a basic dumstick recipe and mix it up with different sauces...sweet chili, bbq, wing sauce, the kids just eat them plain with the skin removed and sometimes dip in ranch. A lot of versatility... the recipe is the last one on the recipe list
-We cook large portions so that leftovers can be had for either lunch the next day or another dinner that week, sometimes even frozen for a later date
- I always keep salad, onions, and fresh fruit on hand so they can be added to any meal
-The "extras" row is to help me remember anything else I may need for the meal
-In my menu I have a kids section under the lunch- I like to compare with the school menu and decide when the will bring and buy. It helps me plan what and how much I need for making lunches that week and I know in advance which days I need to build that into the morning routine. Same goes for the other part of lunch, when to pack leftovers and when to make sandwiches (this is where waste was really reduced)

Menu -you will have to print it and take the 1st and 2nd page side by side. Don't print the third page you don't need it. Goes to show I am not very technology savvy.
Recipes

I guess that covers most of it. Feel free to leave any questions or comments


No comments:

Post a Comment