background

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Tortellini "Salad"

Guys, its been a long time since I've posted a recipe but today I stumbled on this little gem  and I had to post about it. Had I known it was going to be so great I would have taken pictures along the way but you get what you get.
So this is not only good, its fast and way easy and makes a ton.  Tonight was our grocery night so I knew I'd be starting dinner late and this seemed to fit the bill. So here it is with my modifications...



Ingredients

  • 1 large package of Buitoni fresh 3 cheese tortellini 
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken - I was in a hurry so I grabbed a rotisserie chicken 
  • 1/4 cup green olives (left them out because Chris doesn't like them but I think they would be good in it)
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives (I accidentally bought minced and to me they made the dish really pretty, would do it that way again)
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions + extra for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons of mayo
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence (never heard of it but I found it in the specialty spices at HEB, you can sub Italian Seasoning)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil - I used 1/3 cup olive oil instead.  I think this was a good amount, some people in the comments said they needed just a little extra dressing. I bumped up all the spices a little too
  • Salt and pepper to taste -  did not salt because the chicken and olives have a lot of sodium
  • Garnish: chives and shredded Parmesan cheese 

Directions:
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. While cooking shred and remove skin from chicken. 
2.Drain pasts and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and place in large bowl. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients.
  1. 3. Whisk together mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and herbes de Provence, garlic, and oil until smooth. Pour over chicken tortellini mixture and toss to mix. I served immediately while it was just a bit warm and it was great (but hey, that's how I like potato salad too.) However, you can put it in the fridge to cool for about 25 min if you'd rather it be cold. 
  2. I'm not sure I would put the dressing on until I was ready to serve it. I topped with green onions and a sprinkle of parmesan 
  3. I hope you enjoy it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment