background

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Scarecrow fit for a Parade

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with the October festivities going on at Emma's school. I LOVE crafting but each day they bring home something else that has to be done, made, or worn.
Today, they go to the library and pick out a book for a book character pumpkin contest. Each child (and family) makes a pumpkin from a book (from the library -so parents wont have much say in this) and brings it to display next week. In the meantime, this Friday is a scarecrow parade. I knew I needed to make a costume for it but it also needed to be something comfortable enough Emma would wear it all day. Scratchy straw poking out of her sleeves and pant legs wasn't going to cut it.
Before we get too far I have to warn you, this may be more of an idea than a tutorial. It involves some sewing and my knowledge of sewing is far too minimal to try to walk you through it. But if you already know how or you are willing to search some you tube videos, you will be just fine.
I found this picture on pinterest and decided to go for something similar. I mean these are pretty adorable.

My first stop was the thrift store. I was sure I could find overalls there and could work it out from that. No luck. I snagged a cute top and pair of cheap "jeggings" just in case (Emma refuses to wear jeans) and went to one ore thrift store. I still did not have luck so I decided it was time for a new plan, the jeggings were it.
So equipped with 
-1 pair of jeggings, use jeans if you can, its easier to sew
-1 tee shirt
-1 yard of Halloween fabric (probably only need a half but I didn't trust myself not to make a mistake)
-1 package of Velcro (at least 24") - I got the iron on kind.
-1 package of raffia
- wonder under 
- ribbon
-coordinating scrap fabric
- glue gun, sewing machine, and thread


I decided in order to make this work for an all day outfit, the straw was going to have to be removable. Enter velcro. First I cut lengths of velcro to fit the front and back of each pant leg. I ironed the soft side to the pant and glued the raffia to the plastic-y side. Voila, removable straw. 



Next I decided just how long I was going to make the ruffle to hide the velcro. I love those ruffle-y pant legs, so the bigger the better in my opinion.  My ruffle was about 8". 


This is where the sewing machine is required. However, if you are using overalls or non-stretchy denim, you may be able to get away hot gluing the whole thing together. I attempted this first but ended up taking it apart and starting from scratch. 
I left the width of the fabric how it came on the bolt. I hemmed the bottom and each edge to keep from fraying. Then I used the machine to sew a lose stitch and hand pulled the ruffle. 
In order to attach it to the jeggings I had to cut up the inseam of the pant to the just below the height of the ruffle. Once the ruffle is attached sew the inseam back together. You can embellish with ribbon. 
I did the same thing on the shirt sleeves except I cut the sleeve completely off instead of sewing it back together. I wasn't planning on putting any "straw" in the sleeves otherwise I would have done it the way I did the pants (so it wouldn't be itchy.)
I used the remainder of my fabric and some of the scraps to attach patches to the pants and shirt sleeve. I just attached them with the wonder under and didn't sew around them. I figured if they frayed it would be fine for a scarecrow look. We already had some Halloween hair clips that match just fine (thats whats pictured on the shirt below, its kind of hard to see) so I'm not making any but you totally could and add raffia to those too. In my opinion she'll be a pretty cute scarecrow and once the straw is taken off its still a great Halloween outfit. 




Snapped this on my phone when she tried it on...yep, pretty cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment