background

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kids say the darndest things

Well, I have been trying to think about what I should blog about next.  I haven't finished the built - ins, all though they are a work in progress, so I just didn't know what I should talk about.
For this one, I was inspired by a friend's facebook post about her daughter.  In prayer, she told God he could be a mermaid when he grew up.  It reminded me that Yes kids say the darndest things.  Earlier this week I was trying to explain the concept of God and prayer to Emma Bean.  Usually when we pray together at dinner she does a lot of her own mumbling and gibberish through the prayer and proudly says "Amen" at the end.  I decided to try to practice praying with her to encourage that she actually use words, if nothing else.  First, we prayed that Eli get better (he had been congested for a couple days.)  After the first prayer she asked to it again.  So we prayed again that Eli would get better.  I wanted her to understand your prayer wasn't necessarily  the same every time so I asked her what else she wanted to pray for. Herself this time.  First, we prayed that she would be able to start staying in her bed at night.  She wanted to pray "on more time" so we decided to pray that God help her learn to use the potty like a big girl. After we said Amen, she looked at me, very matter of fact, and said it would be better if God helped her use the big girl potty so she could have a prize bag. 
Another day we were in the car and right now we are in  "why" phase of terrible two-dom.  You know, where "why" follows everything you say?  I get "whats dis" and "whats dat" a lot too which is exceptionally frustrating when you know that she knows what it is.  But this time it was "why."  I gave her an instruction in the car, I think it may have been to use her inside voice, and then she asked why.  Usually, by the end of the day  I have had more then enough "why" so I just told her because I am the mommy and I said so.  She looked at me and informed me "You are not the mommy, you're the grandma." Although, I was irritated that she was testing me, it was pretty funny and I burst out laughing and so did she.


Got anything that your kids said recently you just have to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment