background

Friday, October 1, 2010

You might be a Mommy if...

Its Friday night and after bathing your children and sending them off to bed you plop on your couch and settle in for a nice long blogging session!  Yes, a lame way to be spending a Friday, but in a sense, its kind of relaxing.  All is quiet and with a two year old in the question phase, you learn to treasure the silence.
Anyway
Last night was MOPS (Moms of pre-schoolers, for those of you who don't know) night out.  I haven't been a part of the group very long and really, I only knew one lady well enough to remember the name of both her and her kids.
One of the best parts of mom's night out was the hour and a half window I got to get myself, and only myself ready.  I closed the door and went through motions of showering, shaving, and blow drying and straightening my hair.  All of this with out little miss in the background "Mommy, whats dat?  What are you doing Mommy?  Where we going mommy?"  and the 200 other questions she has ( not including the repeats.) When I emerged from our tiny master bath I felt like a fresh woman.  Its been so long since I took the time to straighten my hair and not throw it up, it think its grown 2 inches.
So I came out sportin' my pre Eli jeans and even traded my diaper bag in for my purse.  I loaded the baby in the car and off we went.  I pulled up to this place I had never been and was pretty excited to try.  Its set up that you have to walk past the patio, where we were meeting, to get to the front door.  I looked around and didn't see any one I recognized.  I kind of stood there stupidly for a min and a young guy waiter approached me to ask if I needed help.  This wasn't a place with a hostess or that you wait to be seated.  So I imagine I looked kind of dumb standing there looking around.  I asked the waiter if the MOPS women where here.     
     "The who?"
     At first I thought he didn't hear me or maybe that he was dumb because now that I think about, I talked slowly the second time.  Like that was going to help. "The MOPS, its a moms group - nothing registering with him- We were meeting here tonight, about 10 of us.?"
     "Ma'am I don't know anything about them but I can get my manager."
I don't know Kristey very well, but I assumed she would have called ahead for a pretty big group.  It occurred to me that I had been mistaken, I was either at the wrong place or the wrong time.  Or worse, I had gotten all that free time to get ready and it was the wrong day all together. By this time Eli started fussing and snapped me out of my moment of panic so I took him back to the car and decided I would find an empty corner of the parking lot and nurse him.  Of course as I backed out a person came flying around the corner and laid on the horn because obviously I was the idiot backing out of my space, not the person speeding through the parking lot.  Either that, or they were just that important.
Finally, I get to a spot with Eli and decided to call Amy, the one person I even had a phone number for.  The one person who I could see her kids and know who they belonged to.  She confirmed that I was at the wrong place, right day and time.  She also told me she was bailing on us last min. At this point I had half a mind to go home.  I had been gone 30 min and still not met up with these ladies, had an encounter with an idiot driver, gone to the wrong place, and had to pull over to fix baby melt down.  Now, the one person I knew, was not going to be there.  - It would have been a mistake to give up then.
With the baby fed, I headed to the other restaurant.  It was just across the parking lot and had the same name.  One was an ice house and the other a fajita joint.  As soon as I got out a heard a familiar voice, Sharon, and knew I had come to the right place at last.  I felt a bit awkward at first, toting my baby along to moms night out.  I just knew they were all thinking "thanks for bringing your crying kid, kinda ruins the point don't you think?"  But this was not the case at all.  I settled right in and one of the Mommys even asked to hold him right away.  As it turns out, mommies all love babies.  Especially, when they can give them back.  I ended up having a really great time and some great conversation.
After dinner we were supposed to go bowling but most of us were going to go hang out and not actually bowl.  I decided to offer up our house instead.  At least the drinks would be cheaper.  Plus, the weather was nice and I thought what a great time to use the new porch. Everyone agreed that this was a good idea and to pass on the bowling.
"Wow, I'm one of the cool kids" everyone was going to come hang out at my house! So I got in the car and called Chris and headed home. The girls showed up shortly and we all hung out a while.  To be fair to all that were involved, further details of the evening will not be shared.  But, all and all I had a good time and it turned out I made some friends too!


I ran tons of errands which involved making returns to 3 stores, I hate returns.
I checked out the new resale shop by 24 hour fitness...lame!
I hunted fro play room inspiration fabric and tulle at Joanns.
I went to Lowes and purchased all the lumber to start our built in project tomorrow.
I made a tutus for a birthday party we are going to tomorrow. One for the birthday girl and one for the cutest little jelly cat stuffed animal we got her. http://jellycat.com/usa/roy3c/

OH YEAH... the best part.  I was nursing the baby on the couch and Emma was playing on the back porch.  While I was sitting there things got quiet so when Eli finished I knew I needed to check on her.  I found her naked over on the side of the house covered in mosquito bites (the reason she isn't supposed to leave the porch.  Its like there is a colony back there)  and playing with a paint pen she found somewhere. I asked her where her diaper was, she already stripped off her other clothes right when we came home, I guess she is kind of a heathen.  An she said "in there, pointing at the porch, it had poo poo in it. Georgie ate poo poo."  Sure enough when I went to go pick up the diaper there was no longer any poo poo. I wasn't sure whether to vomit or laugh but one thing for sure, I had to share!
Georgie "poop mouth" Rhodes



Bloggin' on the built ins project tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite thing about this story is that my voice happened to be the first thing you heard when you got there. What a shock! I thought I was so quiet and demure!!

    I'm SOOO glad you came that night, it ended up being a memorable MNO, for sure.

    ReplyDelete