background

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Did you get a Sunday paper, my coupon post

Hi all,
As my facebook followers know I am trying my hand at crazy couponing.  Unfortunately, I will never walk out of the grocery store with a cart full of groceries and only have payed $10, but I am racking up some crazy savings. I have done quite a bit of reading up on this and the only way to get those SUPER savings trips is to buy a lot of processed, boxed, and random brand things.  Just don't be picky.  Well being as I have two children and that on some things I am just a little picky, I can't (or just refuse to) shop like that all the time.
However, last week I saved $79 (we spent $250 before coupons, it was a major trip for us and our bill is rarely that high) grocery shopping; and another $19 at CVS/Walgreens. This week we spent $131 before coupons and saved $30 in coupons.  I haven't made a CVS and Walgreens run yet but I just got my Sunday paper and mapped it out.  So thats what I am going to share with you.
Now, before you get pumped up about all the savings you are about to get, there are a few more things you need to know.  This is time consuming.  We now grocery shop at several different stores, we map out our savings and shopping lists matched with the ad and then go shopping.  Also, in order to get MAX savings you should plan to buy multiple items and you will need a place to store you extras (over the door shoe organizers are awesome!)
Excuse the mess, this is also the craft closet.

In addition, you need to be prepared to have to do multiple transactions at Walgreens and CVS (since I stay home I can go during the day and I am usually the only one there.) You also need to bring the ad with you or grab one when you get in the store so you can double check the details (flavors, sizes,colors.)  My first trip was not smooth but I know how it works a little better now and hope this weeks goes easier.
OK OK, to the point, the plan of action (please remember there are a lot more products to save on, I only buy what I know we like and use already.)

OK, so as I said I am still new to this so I am going back to make some edits  from my Walgreens trip (read the ad wrong and were out of one of the products on my list.)  I haven't made the CVS trip yet because they didnt have carts when I went in and wasnt about to lug around to kiddos with no cart.
Walgreens first, this week is a little more complicated...you dont need a card here. I am listing things in the transaction group. When you check out, make sure the rewards machine is on before you check out.
 First Transaction
Colgate toothpaste MaxFresh...$2.99 + $2.99 register rewards (RR)+ .75 Sunday Paper Coupon (SPC) (limit one per visit) (look around for more stuff like this in the store that is the same price as the RR, its free in the end)

Free Toothpaste



Fantastik all purpose cleaner $2.49 + .50 Store Coupon (SC) + .75 SPC = $1.24 Did not buy
Windex glass cleaner x 2 $2.49 ea + .50 SC ea + $1.00 SPC = $1.49 ea -  Read the ad wrong and these were not apart of RR, I still had a great coupon for the Windex so I bought it but did not need the Fantastik, I got a great deal on Lysol cleaner last week and stocked up.
Tide stain release 20oz $3.99 sale + $1.00 SPC = $2.99 Sold Out (these 4 things will give you $3 RR, check the ad because you can do different combinations ( you just have to buy $10 worth to get the RR)
Added 2 packs of Magic Eraser Mr Clean products with a last week SPC for $1.00 + 25% off 
Added Swiffer pads to this transaction to count toward my $10.00 min



New transaction - this one I am going to have to test when I get there, I am not sure if Walgreens sells the second product and it it may just be better to hold off on. If you dont need these items just skip to the next transaction. I have some older coupons from last week I may use if I need to make up a difference to hit my $10 mark.
Swiffer wet jet pads (because I need them anyway) no coupon but 25% off. added above, did not make a second transaction
Scott paper towels $5 + $1 SC + $1 SPC = $3
Swiffer dust & shine x 2 (this is what I am not sure they have) 25% off  + Buy One Get One Free SPC
1st transaction $16.38 + $6 in RR and $10.04


New Transaction
Dawn sale .99 (10.3 oz) + .25 SPC = .74
Gillette body wash 16oz Buy1 Get1 %50 off sale + Buy1 Get1 free SPC (not sure how this works.  But it it will you will just need to buy 1 filler item.  Anything cheap, gum or check the clearance section. If you already have 4 items in your cart you will be alright without fillers, you just cannot have more coupons then merchandise. I purchased a package of nuts for .50 at the register, they are not in my pictures because I then gave them to a homeless man on the street.  I can suggest the Bumble Bee tuna which is .59 with a coupon from the Walgreens ad.
Pay and dont forget to apply your RR...what was your total? and your savings?  How did I do on the tutorial?
Dont forget you can buy more then one Sunday paper if you like the deals to get double, triple the savings.  BUT at Walgreens they only give you one RR per item.  Thats why when I did the second transaction I did it that way instead of just putting all that stuff up with the first.  Also, be careful to notice the limit.  The toothpaste if limit 1.

Second Transaction $.24


For my second transaction I paid .24 and saved 12.74. My total Walgreens spending, $16.62 and total savings, $22.78.



OK across the street at CVS (haha, well most of them are across the street anyway.) this one should be easier.  CVS gives you all the rewards in one transaction no matter how many (within the limit) or the product you buy. SO you really only need two transactions here.  You do need a CVS card

Transaction 1

John Frieda Shampoo and Conditioner on sale $5 each (have to buy two to get you $10 min or check the ad for more combos) + $2 SPC (older) + $1 SPC (older) = 2/$7 plus $3 RR is like 2/$4
I also $10 RR with Crest white strips and I believe there was  SPC .Also some febreze $3 RR were in the ad. Pantene was $2 RR and $1 SPC
Check out and get RR
New Transaction
Infusium leave in treatment 4.99 w/ card + $2.00 SPC = $2.99
Oral B Cross action power toothbrush x2 $5.99 ea + $2 SPC + $3 SPC = 6.98
They have a good deal on dawn, the same as Walgreens.  Also Pampers diapers are 15.99 with card and SPC.  Crest is 2/$3.50 with card 
Thats it, pay with your rewards.  My total will be some where around $7.50, note I did not buy anything I wrote in Italics.


Good luck Guys!  let me know how it works out for you.  Be patient and be thorough when you check variety on the coupons and sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment