background

Monday, January 2, 2012

As promised...

We found plans this summer on Ana White's website  (if you are not familiar with it click here, you should be) and I immediately knew it was the answer to the small bedrooms in our home. (I think Ana has the answer to a lot of my problems with our home) Not to mention, how awesome it would be to have as a child. We showed it to Emma and she loved it too. SO I told her maybe she should ask Santa to bring it. Luckily, it stuck and she did ask. She also asked that Santa make her a red room.
We thought, to make it cheaper, easier, and faster to build, we may be better off to find a used wooden bunkbed or loft frame. Again, luckily, we came across one for only $40! We added the sides and some pretty details and came up with this. (I may come back and add a step by step of our project but haven't decided)
So here it is, Emma's room reveal!
She was pretty excited Christmas morning between her doll house and her playhouse.  As for me, I was really excited to get it all together. There are a few things that need to be finished up but I can't put off this post any longer so here it is!
Emma's first view of her new room and bed on Christmas morning



 
A view of the bed
A tour of the apartment below

And a view of the bed above
As I mentioned Emma asked to have a red room. My thought "Red, ugh! Red is totally inappropriate for a 3 year old." So I started looking at how I could find a happy medium. I had been seeing a lot on pinterest with red and aqua so started there. I fell in love with the blue floral fabric and the red damask from Tanya Whelan Darla Collection. I originally wanted to make a quilt for her bed but the fabric of course was discontinued so I had to piece it together from other sources. I decided pillows would be better. I ended up cutting a white chenille queen size blanket I have had since college and making it into a twin size quilt for her bed. It goes perfectly with the shabby chic feel.
Since the loft gave us extra space, we found a home for the Barbie house.

The apartment curtains
I was so excited to find these ric rac napkins for $.99 each at Pier 1. I embellished them with ribbon, leftover fabric from the pillows, and pom pom scraps. Each pair is a little different in true shabby chic fashion.

The cornice board
 This is one of my favorite details. It was inspired, along with the colors of the room, by this awesome room at Hi Sugarplum! She has a great blog (click here) and lots of inspiration, take a look around, I am sure you can create a project for yourself. One of those details I have to come back and add is the red along the edges of the curtains.

Curtain inspiration
A red chandelier
 Ok, not the best picture of the chandelier but, as you know, photography is one of my resolutions this year. Anyway, this chandelier came to me from my grandparents. When my grandmother passed my grandad moved out of their home. They picked this out together many years ago while living in Houston.  They brought it with them when they retired near Austin. It wasn't the pretties chandelier when I got it but I had big plans for it. I painted it bronze and was planning to hang it in our bathroom, when we got around to it. A year later it was still sitting in the garage and just the thing Emmas new room needed. Besides the ceiling fan had to come down, it was too big and dangerous for the top bunk. So I painted it red and we installed it and now I know its found its forever home!
The lamp and door knob
Even the lamp got a matching makeover and I found the perfect door knob at Hobby Lobby for just a couple dollars.

A few more details
Of curse there are a few more details. A possible vintage tea set sits on her dresser. I picked it up for a couple dollars at a garage sale. Her first ballet slippers hang from ribbon I added, I want to put these in a shadow box. Another pinterest inspiration. The little cupcakes where a Christmas gift and I thought they were the perfect touch on her table. Red ribbon and white pom poms dressed up her shelf that houses her first tap shoes, a sock monkey, her first birthday hat, and a few other pretty things.  Ans the pink and white tissue paper pom poms hang over the Barbie house.

All and all, I am really happy with the room. It feels so cheery and I secretly like hanging out on the top bunk each night reading her a bedtime story, and looking around at all my Santa's handy work. I think she likes it too

Send me your makeovers. I would love to see them!
Talk at ya soon,
Terra

7 comments:

  1. what a fabulous room for a beautiful girl!!! I'm glad you were inspired by my little one's room...yours turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thanks for the inspiration. I'm so honored you took the time to come see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Ana White! We made her picnic table, but Patrick made it BIGGER- like 8 ft long! I painted it bright ladybug red ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, she is awesome. I think I could have a house built and furnish it down to the bathroom vanity from her site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks BEAUTIFUL Terra! You are so talented. It's a room Emma can grow with for years. It's so funny you got the inspiration from Hi Sugarplum. I've followed her blog for a long time and love everything she does. You really did do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Katie!
    I'm so glad I found Hi Sugarplum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girlie -- I've featured this room on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete