background

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Menu Monday 1/23

Alright guys, this will be my final menu Monday post. Its really hard to get the recipes all together and get them to you on time each week. I will however, try to keep posting one or two recipes on  Monday's for you to try. So here's this week, enjoy.
Monday:
Meatloaf - Unfortunately, I cannot share my meatloaf recipe as it is a family recipe that goes at least 4 generations back. But I will tell you I am just substituting turkey for beef. I'm sure you all have a meatloaf recipe you can do the same with? If not, look around on pinterest and various recipe sites, there are lots of good ones! I am serving this with loaded cauliflower from week 1.  I also made this tonight, I love meatloaf re-heated anyway and since the hubby has class tomorrow night, it easier on me to have that part done!

Tuesday:
Chicken in Cream Sauce -  This is actually called Braciole alla Panna {Pork Chops in Cream Sauce} but since I LOVE chicken Marsala I decided to make it with chicken. Update: Pork Chops were on sale so I stuck with the original recipe. It was awesome! 

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter - use light
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt/pepper
1 cup Marsala wine - I am using just the cooking wine found near the Vinegar at our grocery store
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
8 ounces button mushrooms – sliced
Steps:
1. Into a saute pan add butter and oil and heat over medium heat until butter has melted. Add Chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned on both sides. Turning as necessary. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
2. Into your hot pan add Marsala and deglaze pan. Cook until wine has reduced in half. Place flour into cream and mix together. Add cream mixture to pan and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and continue cooking on LOW for approximately 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through and sauce has thickened. Then, return chicken to pan. Turning to coat. - serve!
I am serving this with a green salad Ended up serving with yellow squash
I told you I take horrible food pictures. It was way better then it looks.


Wednesday
Tosca's Keep It Tight Tilapia - we did not use all the Tilapia from last week so I wanted to find another recipe.
Ingredients
• ¼ cup / 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
• 1 tsp / 5 ml paprika
• 1 tsp / 5 ml ginger
• 1 tsp / 5 ml fresh ground black pepper
• 1 tsp / 5 ml dried mustard
• 1 tsp / 5 ml oregano
• 1 tsp / 5 ml chili powder
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 4 tilapia filets, thawed
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF/ 205ºC. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl combine olive oil, garlic and seasonings.
  3. Dip each filet into the seasoning and place it on the baking sheet.
  4. Pour any remaining seasoning over the filets on the sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes. - We may grill it. Thats how we ended up cooking it last week and it was really good.
This will be served with yellow squash. I just bought the frozen squash and will saute it with half an onion, maybe a touch of butter or oil and sprinkle with just a pinch of salt.

Thursday
 Baked Pork Tenderloin with Gravy - adapted from food.com - The recipe was SO good from this site last week it motivated me to look around more. I can't wait to try this one, Im also using the honey butter pork recipe from last week on chicken this week. 
Ingredients
2 - 2.5 lbs pork tenderloin
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 cup flour
2 tbs olive oil
1/3 package onion soup mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups hot water
Steps:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Season pork tenderloin with salt and pepper.  Coat tenderloin well with flour.  Heat oil in an oven proof pot over medium high heat.  Brown tenderloin on all sides for 5 minutes.

Mix onion soup, cream of chicken soup, and hot water.  Turn heat down to medium low and add to pot.  Cover and bake for 1 hour.  Serve over mashed potatoes or cooked rice (if you aren't watching your carbs.)

Friday
4 tbs butter
2 tbs honey
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an ovenproof pot, heat butter and honey over medium heat until melted.  Sprinkle  pork tenderloin with Cajun seasoning and black pepper.  Brown each side for 5 minutes.  

Place pot in oven and roast for 7 - 10 minutes (watch it on the chicken, it may cook faster and you don't want it to dry out.)  Transfer the chicken to a plate covered with foil to rest. Add water to pan and stir over medium heat.  Simmer until sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup.  Serve chicken with sauce drizzled over the top.
I'm not sure yet what veggie I am serving with this.

Saturday
Pork Chops Oscar - I love asparagus and hollandaise sauce so when I saw this on pinterest it went on as a priority for this weeks menu, 
Brush Asparagus with a litle Olive oil and grill until desired tenderness (I don't like mine too soft)
Brush a little Olive oil over chicken breast and rub some dried onion, garlic, and paprika on it. Grill as usual.
Lay out the chicken on your plate, add a few Asparagus sprigs, and top with some Hollandaise. I also like to add a few shakes of some Paprika. 

For Hollandaise sauce, use either a store bought packet and follow directions or make it from scratch like so:
Hollandaise Sauce:
4 Egg yokes
1-3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
1 stick of melted unsalted butter
 up to 1/4 cup of hot water if needed
a dash of paprika and salt (optional)
Steps
Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a glass heat proof bowl until the mixture is fluffy and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. 

Well folks, thats a wrap! Your last week in a menu. Please feel free to share any recipes. This week I am going to try to take pics as I cook so I can share them with you but, if you're curious, check out the other blogs I linked. They all have pictures of wonderful looking dishes. 
Tomorrow I will be introducing our new little Dachshund, Abby, to you all. I'll also fill you in on the car trouble saga and all its glory. But until then, enjoy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment