background

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom

Good morning blog land! Today I want to give a birthday shout out to my Mama. Shes the best of friends, a great mother, and a fabulous Gigi.
Mom and Paul

Like most teenage girls, my mom and I didn't always see eye to eye. Ok, never saw eye to eye. I couldn't figure out how she could always be to strict and obtuse when it came to the everyday dealings of a high school girl. This is a matter my precious Emma will one day educate me on, I'm quite sure. Payback, right?
Fast forward to freshman year of college. After lessons in the real world  a more adult world, the entire time with my mom in my corner, I began to heal over some of those teenage girl hostilities. My mom supported me as I learned that meal plans from the student center do not mean you're doing it on your own, working weekends as a horse wrangler at a YMCA camp is not a real job, there is such a thing of partying too late and too loud with your roommate, being in college does not mean skipping your 8am - everyday, sororities and girlfriends can be a lot of fun, and establishing who you are has nothing to do with who you want your boyfriend to be.
Then, I moved into a house, a rent house, but a place my roommate and I had to take care of all on our own. My mom supported this decision as well as many others that led to lessons like:  roommates- suck (well maybe just make better friends then roommates,) waiting tables is fast way to make money, just because you can make more the next day doesn't mean you should spend everything you make tonight, skipping an 8 am class is different then skipping work - either are unbearable with a hangover, love can put you on a fabulous high it can also knock you right on your butt, the only thing that sucks worse then breaking up is seeing him with another girl, sororities - who pays for friends or needs that many t-shirts anyway- no offense to those of you've held on to and no longer pay for,  its great for you to try new things and exciting to land an awesome job but Per Diem should not be spent at the bar buying drinks for all your friends - well at least not before you actually take the work trip, spend time establishing who you are.
After years of the vicious cycle called college, which I should actually refer to as college days since I don't know how much time I actually spent in college, my mom and I had finally not only repaired all the mother daughter drama but built a friendship. I had a new respect for her as I began to understand all the things she did for my brother and myself and all the things she was truly protecting us from. I learned she was an amazing person, so strong, determined, and successful with her life, her career, and obviously her children.
Me and my brother, his graduation (in case you hadn't caught on)

I was happy to have her standing by my side I took a step in the next direction of my life. I took the job in Connecticut. A leap of faith, a scary one. She and I drove halfway across the country mid February in a single cab Ford Ranger, stick shift too, and I started my new life. We had a lot of fun together on the trip and setting up my new place, even just checking out the town. And oh, how I bawled the my first morning of work as I stood in my window and watched her climb into a cab and head back to the airport. This was it, I was truly on my own  and the closest thing I knew to home was pulling away to head back. That moment was really a turning point in my life. I knew it was time to step up and take control of my life. To make my mom proud and remember all those lessons I'd been learning along the way. The most important though was now, without distractions, I could decide who I was, who I wanted to be, define myself. And she had equipped me with all the right tools.
It was a good thing too because 5 months later I found myself pregnant and following my soon to be husband and a uhaul back across country, home to Texas. Through this too, my mom stood by my side. As soon as we pulled up to unload our belongings into our home, my mom was there anxiously waiting. She supported our decision to get married and insisted on a big wedding. True to herself, she did a amazing job. It was a wedding to remember and many of my friends often do reminisce about the wonderful night  experience.
My wedding day

Among all the planning, just before the wedding, my mom lost her own mother. For the first time I felt like I was able to be there for my mom. I know my mom still has a hard time with this, my Nanny was just as awesome of a person, but again my mom was teaching me. She reinforced how special our relationship is. How important a relationship with God is. To treasure both relationships and how to nurture them. How to be grateful for all the wonderful times, but all the ones I get annoyed too. And how to be strong, to be the rock for my family.
After the wedding it was time for her first grandbaby, did she ever embrace this life change. She adored Emma. She was so proud I'm sure that her coworkers grew tired of photos and stories.
Brand new baby Emma Bean

Two years later we surprised my mom at Christmas with the news of baby Eli. As always she was excited and proud. Eli arrived in a scary NICU whirlwind but again my mom was there for me. She stayed with Emma and supported me through frantic crying and did she ever pray. For me, for him, our family. God does answer prayers and he did this time. Eli was fine and it was a fluke hospital mistake.
Brand new baby Eli

Just as it happened 18 months ago, I found myself unsuspectingly in the hospital last Friday. Again, she was here. She kept my household together and even waited on my while I'm stuck on bed rest.
That being said;
Mom, I couldn't make it out to get you a gift. I thought about hand making you a card, but we both know I have hideous handwriting and two kids that would be all up in that mess. But this is the gist of what it would say. I love you so much, I am who I am and my family is what it is because of you.
My mom and my family

Because of the things you taught me all along the way and the support you gave me to build this awesome life for myself. I could never thank you enough or fit everything I should say into a card. Even if I could somehow manage to write them down. Thanks mom, and I hope you have a the best birthday!

Love,
Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment