background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Valentine Wreath

Last week I posted about my Valentine mantle and mentioned I was planning on making a wreath for the door.  I got to it today! It was very simple and I made it with mostly leftovers and scraps I had in my craft room. I didn't take pictures each step but I tried to document a little.
I had been looking at wreaths on pinterest and was going to try to do another mesh ribbon wreath but I never got around to getting the materials and its been a crazy two weeks with Emma in swim class and the car in the shop. So I opted for a simpler one and it was perfect. Here's my finished product:


It was inspired but this one:
Jaihart
So here's how. What I used (and this was pretty inexpensive:)
Styrofoam wreath form (I had one laying around)
Scrap burlap cut into about 2-3 in strips
Scrap Valentine colored fabric
Red ribbon (thick)
Pink ribbon
Corsage pins (2)
Thin red ribbon
3 pearls or beads for center of flowers (I purchased mine a while back and found stems in the floral dept at Hobby Lobby for dirt cheap that had a bunch of pearls on them I could just pull off)
Scrap Scrapbook paper -red and neutral 
Scrapbook letters
glue gun and glue sticks
scissors

First wrap your burlap around the wreath form pulling tight and gluing as you go. 
Then you will make 3 flowers 

Jaihart had a link to Craftaholics Anonymous with a tutorial on how to do this but, I'll try to give you a little tutorial of my own. But be warned, it was hard to take pictures one handed and the pictures that have my hand in them, well I'm no hand model. 
First take your strips of fabric and fold one in half. 
Fold the end over then roll over a couple more times to get started. 


You continue rolling the fabric (this time a little more loosely) and kind of shaping it as you go. I use a dot of glue where needed to hold it together. 

This was supposed to show you the dot of glue. Obviously,  you may have to look close.
If your fabric strip runs out just fold the end under and glue the next strip from the underside until you get the desired flower size.
The end of the fabric strip

The end of the fabric strip view from the bottom

Fold under

Start the next strip from the bottom

When you get the flower as big as you want just cut off any excess fabric leaving yourself enough room to fold the end under just as you did above. 
You may have this little piece on the back that sticks out from rolling it in the beginning. Sometimes I do and sometimes I dont, it depends on how I start the flower.

 All you have to do is cut it off pretty flush so that you can glue it to the weath.

 Then flip the flower over and voila, looks great! You may have burned your finger tips with the hot glue a couple times but you get better at it as you go. Sometimes I make a couple extra if I've got the time and keep them in a drawer in the craft room so I can grab them out for another project. They're really cute on headbands or even gift packages.

Ok so now just glue your bead or pearl to the center and make 2 more for the wreath. 


Once I had the flowers attached (just hot glue them) I started on the the little XO banner. 

I used some left over scrapbook paper and letters to make the little banner. I just cut the paper to fit the letter. Then glues it to the red ribbon. I used red paper to make the heart. I attached the ribbon to the wreath with the corsage pins. I liked the pearl pin heads on them because they went with the little pearls on the flowers.

For the ribbon hanger at the top I just glued the pink ribbon to the red then looped it around the wreath. I flipped it right sides together and stitched the end (while still around the wreath) to hold it together. I made a cut on the backside of the ribbon to hang it from the door. I just have a 3M hook attached to my door for hanging. 
So thats it, the Valentine wreath and rolled fabric flower tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment