background

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tiramisu- YUM!

Tiramisu has long been one of my favorite desserts. I often see new recipes pop up on pinterest but have always heard its hard to make. Last week I pinned this recipe for Jo's Easy Tiramisu and last night I made it. It was pretty awesome, enough that I wanted to share! The following picture and recipe is from Jocooks.com (she has a great picture tutorial too) but the part in red is what I did differently.


photo stolen from: Jo Cooks
  • 1 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese Found this in the fancy cheese section by the Deli. Don't taste it alone, I did and gagged a little. I was expecting cream cheese and got something more like a spoonful of butter.
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract I used about 1 and a half but would stick to one if you use the rum.
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 24 lady fingers I've never used these and had to ask where to find them, by the strawberries.
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cup brewed coffee Brew Strong Coffee
  • 1/4 cup rum (optional) I left it out because I didn't have any but think it would be better with it
  • A dash of cinnamon
  • A pinch of nutmeg
Directions:
  1. In a mixer beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla extract until light, fluffy and smooth.
  2. Fold the mascarpone cheese into the egg mixture with a spatula. Set aside.
  3. Dip the ladyfingers in coffee and arrange 12 of them in the bottom of an 8×8 inch dish. You don’t have to soak them in the coffee for a long time, just briefly dip them on both sides. Spread half of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers and repeat with the remaining ladyfingers, then cheese mixture.Seriously, don't soak them just barely wet them. They absorb the coffee real speedy like and it make the end result a little too mushy if you just drop them in.
  4. Now you need to cover this and refrigerate it for about 1 hour then sprinkle the cocoa powder just before serving. It looks beautiful, and people will think you spent hours slaving over this in the kitchen.
It was great and so easy. You can do it and you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment